Sunday, February 7, 2016

WELCOME TO ROOM 8, 2016!!!

                                                                                                                            
Hi everybody, and welcome to a brand new year!  I hope you've had a refreshing summer break, and are amped up to start a new school year.

This year will bring many opportunities for your child to become involved in a whole range of exciting activities/groups that Arahoe School has to offer. 
Your child will also have chances to make new friends, grow in confidence and participate in a wide variety of learning experiences.

I am personally looking forward to seeing those "eureka" moments on the children's faces when they grasp new concepts or skills; particularly if they have been struggling for a while to get there. These have always been a highlight for me, giving me a great sense of personal satisfaction as I am reminded of why I am here.


A little about me...
I graduated from the Auckland College of Education in 1989, with a Diploma of Education.
From there I started my teaching career at Waikowhai Intermediate, where I continued to teach until I had my second child. I decided at that stage to take a break to focus on my family (3 children altogether) and devote my energies to their emerging years. 
During this time, my eldest son was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. It was a great shock and I was plunged into a different mindset, as I had to learn to see (and hear) the world through his eyes.
I believe that in the "big picture" it was a blessing, as he has taught me how amazing these people are. They DO see and interpret things differently to us, highlighting aspects of life that we take for granted, as we are taught to see through THEIR lens.
They are all big lumps now, ranging in age from 22 to 16, but I remember their days at Arahoe like it was yesterday.
 
I have been part of the furniture at Arahoe School for the last 11 years, taking up relieving when my youngest child started in 2004. I combined relieving with part time study to complete my Bachelor of Education degree, and have now been fortunate enough to win a permanent position here.

When I'm not doing school related things, I enjoy camping, swimming, bushwalking, gardening, and baking with the stereo turned up really loud! I also have a geekish fascination with aviation.

Enough about me...

Reminders:
*Just a reminder that our swimming days are TUESDAY and WEDNESDAY.

*Our library day is WEDNESDAY.

*Parent help: From time to time there will be little jobs that need doing around the class, such as pencil sharpening, glueing, putting home readers away in the resource room, etc. I will make a sign to go in the window by the door, on which the jobs will be listed. Please let me know if you would be able to assist with any of them - thanks!!

*Homework: On Friday of Week 2 we will get our homework routine rolling, with your child bringing home their Homework Notebook. It will contain spelling words and basic facts geared to the level they finished on at the end of last year, to start with. Then I will tweak any lists they are on, according to results that come back after testing.  So it will be testing and new lists (if appropriate) on FRIDAYS.
I will be beginning to group your child into Reading groups in Week 2 also, again initially based on levels from the end of last year, with changes being made as assessments are done.

Home Reading:
PLEASE support your child when they start bringing books home to read. It can make a BIG difference.
 There is a ruled section at the front of their Homework Notebook (thanks Helen!!) in which the book names are written. If you would like to comment or give feedback, you are welcome, then please sign to say you have read with your child. When you see the ruled page is about to run out, it would be SO helpful if you could rule up the next pages please - thanks!

 They will be bringing home a book from a choosing box each day, containing books at one level lower than their instructional level. This is to maintain reading mileage and keep up confidence levels - home reading shouldn't be a battle; it should be an enjoyable sharing experience between both parties, as that is when more learning is likely to occur.

At school they read at their instructional level (where they're "at") when doing guided reading with either myself or a literacy support person. When their group has a session with me, they will also bring home a book from that day, which they can keep in their book bags for a week, and practise along with their "easier" book. (They get a fresh instructional book next time I have their group.) 
I will do periodic assessments of them to see if they have shifted levels.


I hope this hasn't been too "wordy" for you parents; I would just like to keep you as informed as possible , so we can work as a team for the benefit of your child.

I will fill you in as more info comes to hand!

Kind Regards,

Christina de Jong.





No comments:

Post a Comment